Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Crib Canopy for the Princess

My little girl needed something to dress up her room, and what better than a royal canopy? The problem was that all the ones I wanted were $100 or more. So here was my fancy little idea... I started out with a wire basket that hangs on the wall (bought it at Ross for $10), and spray painted it white ($2 at any craft/all-purpose store). Spray paint works best for a solid color because it gets in all those teeny tiny crevasses that your paint brush can't reach. If you're going for a vintage or shabby chic look, you may try acrylic paint and a foam brush.


Using some white toole (or sheer curtains called "Lill" from IKEA for $5), I poked the fabric through the base of the wire basket. To make it stay in place, you can hot glue it, sew it by hand, or just do what I did - safety pin it.


Then hang it on the wall...


...add a little color to the basket (I used stuffed animals, but it would look great with whatever you wanted to put in there)...


And there you have it my friends! A beautiful new canopy for your bed... or your baby's bed! If you're concerned about little fingers getting ahold of that beautiful sheer fabric and pulling it down, just use a pair of hooks or curtain tie-backs on the wall to keep it away from the bed and out of harm's way.

5 comments:

Jess said...

That is ADORABLE!! Will you make one for my bed? ;)

Cynthia Cano said...

Love this idea. I've been looking for different ways to put a canopy over my babhgirls crib and I'm loving this one the best. It's very creative! Thanks for sharing.

SansaStreetUnscripted.blogspot.com

Cynthia Cano said...

Love this idea. I've been looking for different ways to put a canopy over my babhgirls crib and I'm loving this one the best. It's very creative! Thanks for sharing.

SansaStreetUnscripted.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! I've been looking for canopies on Etsy and they're all over $100!!

Jannie said...

So glad I could help! It sure saved me a truck load of $$$ too. :)

AddThis Suggested Content